orange

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Soil lit by the Moon

One time, the monsters I thought were there to trap and destroy me, ran up behind me, and after I had lost my footing and fell on hard ground, they picked me up in gentleness, they didn't trample, they ran beside me, they were me. Covered in soil and lit by the moon, risen from unworthy holes in the ground, they were there for me and answered when I called, sent reality when I prayed, and I no longer called out to myself in my head.

Someone told me they were responsible for all light, if I left them I'd be blind. It was dark, for a while, I can see what they meant, if you don't sit through the night you might shiver and fear and run to their lamp inside. I waded the night, and they didn't make the sun, I found. I waited a bit longer, no one gave me my love, I found, I just had it. 

Boat on dry land, don't jump out or you'll drown, the water must be coming soon, you'll see we're the ones who survive. Sorry lost ones, wandering on land, we'll care for those well who prepare with us. The best day of their lives is the end of us.

My whole mind was a scratch in my mouth that my tongue couldn't stop touching, my whole life was two ribbon-bound feet, too lovely for walking. Make it fit, make it fit, make it fit, make it fit. I long to be callous to prove they don't know me. Won't be their girl or any girl if that's what being a girl means. Quiet in Heaven, grave for my speaking.

But they picked me up and we all ran to the same end. My colors, my children, feet and flowers ran with me, loud enough to cover your ears, sound till the end.




No comments: