orange

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Utah means

Utah means



No one knows where I am.

Singing so loud my voice cracks.

I know where to sit and where to stand. My body belongs in this house.

Turning on music loud in the afternoon when no one is home.

Holding onto the kitchen chair opposite the mirror. I'm the only one who sees.

Belting in the car, even though I don't know how, because not a soul can hear.

Writing a new harmony to every song that comes on.

I decide where I go, and I take myself, with my car.

I would never think to ask if I can take a shower.

Sitting on dirty couches, running barefoot on sidewalks.

Children with black feet.

Everyone under 5 years old is naked.

Adults lay around like lions and forget the children are there as best they can.

Video games are a tool.

Someone is saying something completely novel.

Someone is saying something I've heard so many times I mentally leave the room.

Everything is set up safely, so children can wander through a house unassisted.

Children's rooms have white noise at night so adults can have parties whenever they want.

The kids eat, if they want.

They can pour themselves a bowl of cereal.

The young ones will sit and eat in a high chair for a while.

I put a baggy of cheerios on a chair, so the baby can get at them.

I don't stop him from eating one that fell on the floor.

There's nothing wrong with being wet.

You might even walk up a river in your tennis shoes.

There's nothing wrong with being cold.

If you play outside in the cold, you'll feel warm because your blood pumps hard.

These are called, "goosebumps." Don't they feel good?

Your feet turn a little purple in the winter, and there are crumbs on the bottom of your feet.

We decide to have waffles for dinner sometimes.

Cold. Smoke. Morning light. Red rock. Woods. Gather sticks.

Mom brought trailmix.

There's eight deer in my front yard.

I try to look hot and wait around at Velour for hours.

We eat giant burritos on the floor and scroll reddit.

My witches gather with me and we worship the moon.

Someone, somewhere, has invited me to some kind of costume party.

There's nothing to do. So I play the same piano piece over and over.

Sometimes I decide not to shower after I go to the pool.

I wear immodest clothing confidently in public.

I think my double piercings mean something.

My back hurts again, I need a rub.

Pushing myself too hard at the quarry and now I'm struggling to grip the wheel as I drive home.

Throwing hard clay on the sidewalk until it softens.

There's a mountain in my backyard.

We can see the whole valley from here.
...

No comments: